Housed within the Office of the Senior Vice President for Research, the SSRI is one of seven university-wide research institutes at Penn State.
Our mission is to foster research that addresses critical human and social problems at the local, national, and international levels. We do so by bringing together researchers from different disciplines around emerging areas of study, and by providing consultation, financial support, shared, accessible infrastructure, and services to social scientists at Penn State.
Our research support is aimed at promoting:
- Research by investigators from diverse fields within the social and behavioral sciences
- Research collaborations across disciplinary lines, across colleges and research centers, and across universities
- The activities of multidisciplinary and translational research centers
The Center for Educational Disparities Research (CEDR) supports research focused on educational inequality in order to close the opportunity gaps faced by minority and low-income children.
The Network is an interdisciplinary group of faculty dedicated to identifying the causes of child maltreatment and developing evidence-based approaches that will promote prevention, detection, and treatment. The Network's mission is to advance child protection and well-being through research, education, and engagement.
An interactive and comprehensive resource for professionals working with military families, the Clearinghouse is expert in the science of program implementation and evaluation.
CSA core provides services to facilitate the use of geospatial data and a spatial perspective in social science research. It emphasizes spatial statistics, advanced spatial analysis methods, exploratory spatial data analysis, and customized GIS/spatial analysis programming.
Motivated by the opioid epidemic that is deeply affecting communities across the nation, Penn State is consolidating its resources to address the opioid crisis and the larger problems of substance abuse in Pennsylvania and beyond via its newly launched Consortium to Combat Substance Abuse (CCSA).
The EIC facilitates the translation of social science research into measurable societal impact by increasing its relevance to policymakers and practitioners. This includes accelerating partnerships to access, protect, link and analyze sensitive data, as well as providing the core infrastructure to facilitate the translation of research into policy.
The center provides researchers with a secure connection to data collected by the U.S. Census Bureau and the National Center for Health Statistics.
PRI encourages, organizes, and supports innovative research and training in the population sciences. With the talents of over 80 outstanding scholars, PRI provides a supportive and collegial environment to stimulate collaborative, externally funded research. The institute is an NICHD supported population center.
QuantDev develops new methods for the study of human behavior (measurement, study design, and analysis techniques) and uses them to study behavioral change.
The SLEIC fosters innovative research in the social, behavioral, biological, engineering, and materials sciences where imaging methodologists play a central role.
The SRC provides a range of services, including data collection, survey design, sampling, data entry, survey data management, and data analysis.
Penn State Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute
CTSI serves as an independent but integrated academic engine for clinical and translational science.
SSRI Strategic Foci
- The Human System: How environments and experiences “get under the skin” to affect stress and immune functions, social, cognitive, and affective neural processes, and gene-related mechanisms—and the ways in which these bio-psycho-social processes both shape and are shaped by human behavior, health and development.
- Social Disparities: Discovery of causes and consequences and development of evidence-based policies and practices for remediating widening gaps in the health, education, and community resources of vulnerable populations, including children, youth, elders, and their families—toward sustaining a diverse and changing population in a global society.
- Smart and Connected Health: Health and mental health promotion and disease prevention and treatment using novel methodologies (electronic devices, social media, human-technology hybrids), “big data” analytics, and other innovations for enhancing health and health behavior and optimizing health care and health care delivery using evidence-based practices and policies toward a sustainable health system.
- Innovative Methods: Novel approaches to research design, data collection, security, and archiving, and modeling and analysis pertaining to our targeted foci and beyond.
- Dissemination and Implementation Science: The scientific study of best methods for translating knowledge into policies, programs, practices, and products that achieve broad and sustained uptake and use toward enhancing the health and well-being of individuals, their communities, and the larger society.
All publications, press releases, or other documents that result from the utilization of any Penn State SSRI resources, including funding, tools, services or support, are required to credit the SSRI.
SSRI Level 1 and Level 2 Funding
The project described was supported by the Social Science Research Institute at Penn State. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the SSRI.
SSRI Co-Funded Faculty and Faculty Fellows
Support for this project was provided by the Social Science Research Institute at Penn State. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the SSRI.
SSRI Level 1 RDC Funding
Consultation services for this project was provided by the Social Science Research Institute at Penn State. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the SSRI.
GIA Pilot Hours for Social Science Research
Geographic Information Analysis (GIA) services was provided by the Social Science Research Institute at Penn State. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the SSRI.
SSRI PowerPoint Presentation
The SSRI PowerPoint presentation gives an overview of SSRI's mission, structure, funding opportunities, co-funded faculty program and more. Download the presentation.